Albuquerque man allegedly shot to death by teens remembered

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — Mourners are gathering at an Albuquerque park to remember a man police say was gunned down in his driveway by a group of teenagers.

Dozens of people came to a memorial for 60-year-old Steve Gerecke on Saturday morning at Balloon Fiesta Park.

Six teenagers are facing murder charges in Gerecke’s shooting death last month.

Police say one of them shot Gerecke while the mob of teens was prowling through a neighborhood, burglarizing cars and homes.

Police Chief Gorden Eden says one of the teens confessed but the investigation remains ongoing.

Gerecke’s daughter says she holds the teens’ parents responsible.

Gerecke was also a grandfather and husband who was a fixture as a bartender at of the city’s popular sports bars for more than 20 years.

WNCT-TV 9 On Your Side provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus