Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Wednesday:
1. FBI FIGHTS ATTEMPTS TO SMUGGLE NUCLEAR MATERIAL TO TERRORISTS
The successful busts, however, were undercut by striking shortcomings: Kingpins got away, and those arrested evaded long prison sentences, sometimes quickly returning to nuclear smuggling.
2. SOUTH CAROLINA GETS A RESPITE FROM RAINSTORMS
Tuesday was the first dry day since Sept. 24 in the state capital, but officials warned that new evacuations could come as the huge mass of water flows toward the sea.
3. WHY THE TOP U.S. COMMANDER IN AFGHANISTAN RECOMMENDS KEEPING MORE TROOPS THERE
Gen. John F. Campbell tells Congress conditions have changed since President Obama announced a plan to withdraw forces, and that a military presence is needed to fight al-Qaida and the Taliban.
4. CONTRASTS BETWEEN CLINTON AND SANDERS COMING INTO FOCUS
As their first debate approaches, their differences on foreign policy, gun control and trade are becoming clearer.
5. MYSTERY DEEPENS OVER FATE OF SUNKEN U.S. CARGO SHIP
Authorities are likely to focus on possible engine problems as they continue to search for 33 missing mariners.
6. HOW A NEW GENERATION OF PALESTINIANS IS PUSHING FOR UNREST
Too young to remember the hardships during Israel’s clampdown on the last major uprising, they are driving the current wave of clashes, having lost faith in dialogue and believing Israel only understands force.
7. U.S. SEEMS CLOSE TO ALLOWING WOMEN IN COMBAT
Defense Secretary Ash Carter says limiting the search for qualified military candidates to just half the population would be “crazy.”
8. AMERICAN INDIAN ARTIFACTS MAY HAVE BEEN TAKEN BY ACTORS FROM “MAZE RUNNER” MOVIE SET IN NEW MEXICO
Following comments by the film’s star, Dylan O’Brien, 20th Century Fox says it is investigating and will return any stolen items.
9. ESPN GRAPPLES WITH FANTASY SPORTS SCANDAL
DraftKings billboards will be pulled from news shows amid reports that an employee may have accessed valuable company data before winning second place in a FanDuel contest.
10. WHO’S PLAYING IN THE BIG LEAGUES TONIGHT
The Yankees and Astros open baseball’s postseason, with 20-game winner Dallas Keuchel of Houston facing Masahiro Tanaka in the AL wild-card game.