Kenansville store catches fire; employee suffers smoke inhalation

KENANSVILLE, N.C. (WNCT) —  An employee who inhaled smoke was taken away in an ambulance Tuesday morning after a fire at a Kenansville store.

Kenansville fire Chief Danny Chambers said Jackson’s IGA  in Kenansville caught fire around 7:15 a.m.

The fire was controlled in 30 minutes.

The bulk of the damage is in the store’s deli area, but the fire extended into the attic space.

There was extensive water and smoke damage in the store.

It is not a total loss, but the store will be closed for most of the rest of the day.

The rest of the store should be okay, Chambers said.

Chambers said the fire was electrical in nature.

The Duplin County health inspector is examining the store.

Warsaw, Kenansville, Magnolia and Sarecta fire departments all responded, and Chambers said he appreciated the assistance of the neighboring departments.


WNCT-TV 9 On Your Side provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s