Update: Halifax quadruple murder suspect’s hearing rescheduled

Update November 16, 2017: The hearing for the suspect accused of killing 4 people in Halifax County will be rescheduled as of Thursday.

Defense attorneys said authorities moved Matthew Simms to the Craven Correctional Institution due to a probation revocation.

At the time of the Halifax murders, Simms was out on bond for another murder charge.

HALIFAX, N.C. (WNCN) — The man charged with killing two elderly couples playing a card game inside a Halifax home in August was denied bond at his first court appearance Friday.

Matthew Simms, 25, of Enfield, faces four counts of first-degree murder, Halifax County Sheriff Wes Tripp said.

Records show that he was out on bond for a 2015 murder when the two couples were murdered.

Investigators have said two married couples had been sitting around a kitchen table playing cards when they were killed sometime between Aug. 20 and 21.

James Harris was killed along with his wife, Janice Harris, 72, and another couple, James Whitley, 76, and Peggy Whitley, 67.

Simms was taken into custody in early September after failing to appear at a June 15 court date on a murder charge, court documents show.

Simms was charged in the June 22, 2015 death of Jarhamel Cambridge, of Enfield. He also faced a felony probation violation charge after originally being charged with possession of a firearm by convicted felon.

According to court documents, Simms was arrested on Nov. 19, 2015 in Cambridge’s murder. He was given a $100,000 secured bond with electronic monitoring on Feb. 17, 2016. His bond was reduced to $20,000 unsecured on May 18, 2016. Simms was able to bond out and then failed to appear in court on June 15 of this year. A judge then ordered a $100,000 secured bond, records show. On Sept. 7, Simms was served with arrest papers for failure to appear in court and was arrested. Simms has been jailed since that point and had his bond raised to $500,000 secured.

Simms was charged with quadruple murder on Oct. 26. The 2015 murder charge was never dropped. Once Simms was charged with the quadruple murder, he was denied bond.

Tripp said evidence, including forensic evidence, has been collected that led investigators to believe the murder was “gang-related.”

ATF records show Harris ran a gunsmithing business out of his home.

According to an ATF database, J and J Gunsmithing was a federally licensed firearm business as of July 2017. The gunsmithing business was registered to Harris at the same address where the killings occurred.

Simms made his first court appearance around 10:30 a.m. and was again denied bond. He asked the judge when he can file for an expedient trial and was told that it’s a matter to discuss with his attorneys.

Loved ones of the four victims were in court for Simms’ first appearance.

Simms next court date is set for Nov. 15 and will determine if he has proper representation.

WNCT-TV 9 On Your Side provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s