GREENVILLE, N.C. (WNCT) – The holidays are right around the corner, and with them come associated fire risks when cooking.
Greenville Fire Rescue demonstrated Thursday what it looks like when water is thrown on a grease fire.
During the demonstration, flames spread like wildfire throughout an old apartment complex kitchen.
Firefighter Jesse Harris had some tips for how to avoid cooking fires.
“Always have a lid for whatever you are cooking,” said Harris. “Keep an eye (on) what you are that you are cooking. If you are sleepy, if you have been drinking anything that would impair you, don’t cook.”
Harris said it’s also important you make sure your smoke alarms are working properly.
Firefighters with Greenville Fire Rescue also learned how to determine if an arsonist is to blame for a fire.
At the old apartment complex, located behind the Hilton in Greenville, firefighters also learned arson investigation techniques.
“It gives us a more hands on realistic instead of us going into a structure,” said Aaron Drake, firefighter. “Just going into the structure gives us more smoke and a little bit more heat and gives realism to our training.”
This is the first time that the arson investigation class has been offered in our state. Training will continue for the rest of the week.