First on 9: NC Court rules against Belhaven, demolition of Pungo Hospital begins

pungo

BELHAVEN, N.C. (WNCT) – On Wednesday, the North Carolina Court of Appeals issued a ruling on complaints filed by the town of Belhaven and the NAACP over the old Pungo Hospital building.

“Pantego Creek is pleased that the Court of Appeals ruled in favor of Pantego Creek and Vidant, and against the Town and NAACP, on each and every issue before the Court,” said a spokesperson for Pantego Creek LLC, the current owners of the hospital and the property.

According to the ruling, the court did not find factual evidence to move the town’s allegations forward. The court also determined the 1948 deed for the hospital property didn’t include language that would require the ownership to revert back to the town.

The ruling claimed, “The fundamental flaw with Plaintiffs’ position is that Belhaven did not include any language creating a reversionary interest in the 1948 Deed to the effect that the land would revert to Belhaven in the event that the land ceased being used for the operation of a hospital.”

The court also struck down the town’s argument that they had been declined a fair and impartial trial by previous judges.

WNCT reached out to Belhaven Mayor Adam O’Neal, who said the town’s attorneys are now determining whether to appeal the court’s decisions.

Pantego Creek LLC also voted to move forward with demolishing the old hospital building, which began Monday with the removal of asbestos.

A statement released by Pantego Creek LLC said, “Pungo Medical Center, led by Belhaven Mayor Adam O’ Neal, has had more than two and a half years to find an alternative solution for a new hospital. To date, this effort has not demonstrated that conditions necessary for the now-expired USDA loan commitment can be met, nor have the Mayor or the Medical Center presented a viable plan with a realistic timeline. Since the old Pungo District Hospital closed more than 2 years ago, the aging buildings have deteriorated to the point that the buildings will have to be demolished and completely rebuilt in order for a hospital to open on the property, a circumstance that would make any plan very difficult to successfully implement.”

O’Neal responded, saying, “the community is now moving towards making an offer for the Hospital Facility this Friday. The community is totally against tearing down the hospital if it can be reopened. We believe it can be reopened.”

The town has planned a 6 p.m. protest Wednesday in hopes of saving their hospital.

WNCT-TV 9 On Your Side provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

1 thought on “First on 9: NC Court rules against Belhaven, demolition of Pungo Hospital begins

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s