What you need to know before you head to the polls

election-day-jj

GREENVILLE, N.C. (WNCT) – Millions will head to the polls Tuesday to cast their votes for everything from President to local representatives.

A record number of North Carolinians voted early this year – 45% of the state’s registered voters. The other 55% could face long lines at the polls Tuesday, as the state eliminated straight party voting this year.

Regardless of who wins the presidency, political experts say the controversy will last far beyond election season.

“I think there will be fights, there will be gridlock, there will be investigations. Both candidates are under some clouds of scandal. I think that will continue after the election. Whoever loses is going to be upset and even if they accept the outcome of the election, they’re going to be trying to at least stymie the winning candidate,” said ECU Political Science Professor Brad Lockerbie.

There have been a lot of changes this election season. Voters do not need to show I.D. to vote. People just need to be registered and tell poll workers their name and address. It’s too late to register to vote. Someone voters may have supported for years may no longer be in their district thanks to redistricting.

Many voters, regardless of party affiliation, say they’re ready for action in Washington, but political experts say don’t expect to see big changes anytime soon.

“I don’t doubt that there will be gridlock or that it’ll be difficult for anybody who gets elected president to get things done. That may well reflect where public opinion is right now. There’s no overwhelming majority for any dramatic change in public policy. And if we get gridlock, well, that may be what we want,” Lockerbie said.

Polling sites open at 6:30 a.m. and close at 7:30 p.m. people will be able to vote as long as they’re in line by 7:30 p.m.

Click here to find your assigned polling location.

WNCT-TV 9 On Your Side provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s