GREENVILLE, N.C. (WNCT) – Nearly two dozen cases of car break-ins in Greenville are closed with the arrest of a suspect by detectives with the Greenville Police Department’s Property Crime Division aided by the Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office.
The Greenville Police Department said Friday that officers have responded to an increase in the break-ins since June. They’ve been happened in and around the area of Fire Tower Road and Red Banks Road. In each of the cases, purses were stolen from the seat or floorboard of the car. And in every case, the suspect broke a window to gain access to the cars.
Detectives originally developed 36-year-old Kevin Gerard Brown of Greenville as a suspect in the break-ins when they compared notes with the Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office, who had been experiencing similar crimes. Later, on October 26, detectives conducted a nighttime surveillance operation, watching as Brown, allegedly, circled several locations along Fire Tower Road that had been subject to past vehicle break-ins. He was then observed leaving the parking lot of EC Fitness on Reedy Branch Road in Winterville. When officers confirmed a vehicle break-in had just occurred, police stopped Brown near Evans Street and Kirkland Drive. Detectives located a large flat head screwdriver and a towel that had blood spots on it in the front seat of his car.
Brown was arrested and charged with 26 counts B&E Motor Vehicle, 25 counts Misdemeanor Larceny, 1 count Attempted B&E Motor Vehicle, 1 count Damage to Property, 1 count Financial Card Theft, and 1 count Possession of Burglary Tools. He’s in the Pitt County Detention Center under a $200,000 bond. Brown’s arrest has resulted in the closure of the following vehicle breaking and entering cases in Greenville:
- Roses Gymnastics, 1802 Old Firetower Road: 6/3 (three victims); 7/14; 7/30; 8/14; 9/1
- Fit 4 Life Gym, 3851 Dunhagan Road: 6/13; 8/30; 9/12
- Carmike Cinemas, 1685 E. Fire Tower Road: 6/19; 7/2; 8/6; 9/2; 9/3; 9/10; 9/18
- Tie Breakers, 1920 Smythewyck Drive: 6/19 (two victims)
- Reimage Church, 3950 Victory Lane: 6/26
- St. Gabriel’s Catholic Church, 3250 Dickinson Avenue: 7/5
- Carolina Ice Zone, 104 Red Banks Road: 7/22 and 9/14
- The Shoppes at Arlington, 511 Red Banks Road: 9/2
Police said Friday that Brown is expected to face additional charges in connection with cases in neighboring jurisdictions.