NEW BERN, N.C. (WNCT) – Gov. Pat McCrory downgraded the number of fatalities caused by Hurricane Matthew in North Carolina from 26 to 25 at a press conference in New Bern Monday.
A previously reported fatality in Robeson County has since been attributed to a separate cause of death.
The governor also announced additional federal assistance is available for residents in three counties. Martin County is now eligible for both public and individual assistance and individuals in Washington and Tyrrell counties can now apply for federal assistance.
Over 600 roads remain closed through central and eastern North Carolina due to damage or flooding, but McCrory announced the North Carolina Department of Transportation re-opened I-95 Monday.
McCrory said it may be weeks before the state knows the full extent of the damage on our local economy.
“We need a whole reevaluation of where we rebuild and how we rebuild, whether it be in Princeville or further down the river because I don’t want this to happen again,” said McCrory.
He added that the major rivers that have caused flooding problems in eastern North Carolina have peaked, though some flooding is still occurring.
McCrory said that his top priority is to get people from shelters into temporary housing.
For more details from McCrory’s news conference, click here.