RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCT) – Gov. Pat McCrory announced Saturday morning that the number storm-related deaths now sits at 26 people.
The number was increased from 24 after a 53-year-old male in Cumberland County, and 47-year-old female in Wayne County, died after their vehicles encountered flood waters.
Gov. McCrory also announced two babies had been successfully delivered in a mobile hospital during the storm.
He said the storm is bring people together and showing the best of North Carolina.
“The effects of Hurricane Matthew continue to have a destructive impact 12 days later, but we are seeing incredible strength and courage from our citizens, and we are seeing recovery,” he said. “There are still many difficult days ahead, but our top priority will continue to be helping people in the hardest hit areas who are dealing with this flooding.
As of Saturday, more than 13,000 people are still without power. 660 roads remain closed in central and eastern North Carolina.