RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCT) – Governor Pat McCrory said Saturday afternoon that everyone should stay off the roads and sidewalks as severe flooding and winds turned Hurricane Matthew into a deadly storm in North Carolina claiming three lives.
“The worst case scenario appears to be coming true as Hurricane Matthew has become a deadly storm in North Carolina,” said Governor McCrory. “Our team will continue to shift resources, including National Guard troops, State Highway Patrol troopers and swift water rescue teams, to assist the impacted communities. I cannot stress enough for everyone to stay off the roads and sidewalks as there are deadly conditions from Fayetteville, the Triangle and east as a result of severe flooding.”
There are now three storm-related fatalities in North Carolina; one in Sampson County which happened after a vehicle hydroplaned and two in Bladen County because of a submerged vehicle.
Earlier in the day, Governor McCrory spoke with President Obama to discuss North Carolina’s response to Hurricane Matthew and federal assistance. He also communicating with mayors and local officials, as well as Agriculture Commissioner Steve Troxler about impacts of the storm on the agriculture community.
The governor warned that conditions will continue to worsen throughout eastern and central North Carolina as the storm is now predicted to continue moving along the coast towards the Outer Banks before heading out to sea.
Fallen trees and isolated flooding in counties throughout central and eastern North Carolina have closed many roads. The governor mentioned that crews are actively working to remove debris from blocked roadways and place barricades where necessary. As conditions worsen, additional road closures are expected. For the latest traffic and road conditions visit ReadyNC.org.
More than 300,000 power outages have been reported in 65 counties throughout North Carolina. Utilities have deployed more than 5,700 personnel to help respond to power outages.