WASHINGTON, N.C. (WNCT) – Thousands of people in the United States die in house fires every year.
According to fire fighters, you can reduce the risk of a house fire by checking your appliances, batteries, and power strips on a monthly basis.
Washington’s battalion Chief Doug Bissette said many people don’t realize a dryer can catch fire in an instant if the vent screen is not cleaned. He said it’s crucial to make sure air can move freely.
“Make sure your lint filter is clean every time you use it,” said Bissete.
He also advised just “basically housekeeping around to make sure it is clean and make sure you don’t have any issues with it.”
Bissette said if clothes are not drying it could be because something is blocking the air flow.
He said lint is extremely flammable, and the electricity from the dryer can cause a fire if the screen is full.