JACKSONVILLE, N.C. (WNCT) – The Jacksonville Police Department has issued safety tips while playing Pokemon Go.
Here are the suggestions by Jacksonville PD:
- Tell your kids about stranger-danger. The design of the game can bring people together in the real world as they search for Pokémon in common areas called gyms and pokestops. Obviously, you never know who you could run into while playing.
- Set limits on where your kids can go, such as not leaving the street or neighborhood without a parent. This can limit the amount of strangers that could be encountered.
- Watch the road! Both kids and adults become engrossed in the game while staring at their phones and following a map. Pay attention and be alert at all times and stay aware of your surroundings.
- Play in pairs or as a group in well-lit areas to ensure your safety
- Do not drive your vehicle or ride your bike, skateboard, or other device while interacting with the app.
- Do not trespass onto private property
- Do not go to areas you usually would not if you weren’t playing Pokémon Go
- Be mindful of City curfew for youth
- Be mindful of closing times for City parks
- Be cautious of being lured into a bad situation
- As always, don’t hesitate to contact 911 if you encounter a dangerous or suspicious situation.