Kinston man, teen charged with attempted murder of city’s mayor pro tem

KINSTON, N.C. (WNCT) – Kinston’s Mayor Pro Tem says his family is so upset over last week’s incident at his funeral home that they want to move.

Kinston Police charged Mark Branthoover, 20, and a teenager with attempted murder and more in this case. Due to the teenager’s age, nothing more will be released about him.

Officials said on Friday, the two showed up at Robert Swinson IV’s funeral home on East Blount Street demanding money.

Swinson said he was cleaning out a funeral car at the time. When one of the two pulled out a gun, he said he ran inside, but the two followed him.

Swinson also said they fired three shots before leaving.

“Individuals that have a chance to get guns, underage to have guns is not a good feeling for you, especially being a community leader here in the area,” said Swinson.

Police caught up with Branthoover and the teenager following a brief chase. The teen is at a Pitt County Detention Center. Branthoover remains at the Lenoir County Jail.

Branthoover is expected back in court on June 6.

WNCT-TV 9 On Your Side provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s