GREENVILLE, N.C. (WNCT) – Governor Pat McCrory has signed an Executive Order to protect privacy and equality for all residents of North Carolina.
Executive Order 93 does the following:
- Affirms the private sector’s right to establish its own restroom and locker room policies
- Seeks legislation to reinstate the right to sue in state court for discrimination
- Expands North Carolina’s employment policy for state employees to cover sexual orientation and gender identity
- Affirms the private sector and local governments’ right to establish its own non-discrimination employment policies for its own employees
- Maintains common sense gender-specific restroom and locker room facilities in government buildings and schools
“After listening to people’s feedback for the past several weeks on this issue, I have come to the conclusion that there is a great deal of misinformation, misinterpretation, confusion, a lot of passion and frankly, selective outrage and hypocrisy, especially against the great state of North Carolina,” said Governor McCrory. “Based upon this feedback, I am taking action to affirm and improve the state’s commitment to privacy and equality.”