NEW BERN, N.C. (WNCT) — A man is recovering after a propane tank exploded while he was changing it Friday night. Township 6 Fire Chief Larry Curtis says the fire started on 155 Redwood Lane around 5:30 p.m. The home quickly caught fire, totaling the house. Luckily, the residents were able to recover many items from inside.
The man that was changing the tank was taken to the hospital with what Curtis describes as “an extreme sunburn.” He was released late Friday night. Curtis says the tank likely malfunctioned which sparked the fire.
Township 6, Township 7, and the City of Havelock Fire Rescue crews responded to the scene. Firefighters worked in the freezing rain and wind for hours to get the fire under control.