GRIMESLAND, N.C. (WNCT) – A small boiler room fire caused G.R. Whitfield students and staff to be evacuated on Wednesday, according to a Pitt County Schools spokesman.
Students and staff spent about 35 minutes outside of the school.
Grimesland Volunteer Fire Department resonded and say crews extinguished the fire that started in the heating unit.
WNCT learned that after crews put out the small fire, the heat remained off for about two hours until repairs could be made.
According to the Pitt County Schools website, G.R. Whitfield is a K-8 school that serves nearly 540 students.