GREENVILLE, N.C. (WNCT) – A fundraiser started by ECU’s Sigma Alpha Epsilon has already raised thousands of dollars for fellow Greek members who lost their house in a fire early Monday morning.
Several of the girls who lived in the house were members of sororities on campus. Friends said one of the girls had a candle lit and accidentally knocked it over, starting the fire. All of the people inside, along with a dog, made it out with no injuries. However, most of their belongings were completely lost.
Ryan Rose, President of Sigma Alpha Epsilon, said they thought they had to do something.
“Just immediately my heart dropped, because of finals week and everything that’s going on,” Rose said. “Just the stress of Christmas around the corner, everything about this. I felt in my heart that I needed to help.”
Rose started the fundraiser on Go Fund Me. Their goal was $5,000, but had already been surpassed just eight hours into it.
If you would like to donate, click here.