RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – Many have a refrigerator full of Thanksgiving leftovers right now, and while it may be tempting, veterinarians warn not to share those with your pets.
“Around this time of year we see a lot of dogs for eating human food,” said veterinarian Dr. Andrew Gall.
Pleading eyes from your pet can make it tempting to share your leftovers, but rich and fatty foods like turkey skin and gravy can cause serious abdominal issues for animals.
“I’m sure the pet would love it but ultimately [it] can cause more harm than good,” Gall said.
While it may seem like a good idea to give your pet turkey bones to chew on, cooked bones are actually very dangerous.
“Things like bones, for instance, can cause significant abnormalities, can cause [gastrointestinal] obstruction, perforation of the intestine and can lead to surgery if it’s bad enough,” said Gall.
Another Thanksgiving staple that can be hazardous to pets is stuffing.
The side often contains onions, which can be toxic to cats and dogs.
Pets should also avoid garlic, which is bad for their blood.
It’s also important to note that candy for humans can be dangerous to pets. Chocolate is poisonous and even be fatal for them.
Even though you may want to share what you’re having, resist the temptation and only give them pet-approved treats.
If you notice any symptoms in your pet, get your animal to the veterinarian’s office.
If it’s after hours, you can call the Pet Poison Helpline.