FORT BRAGG, N.C. (AP) — Officials at Fort Bragg closed an access gate after construction workers discovered four artillery shells.
A statement on the Army post’s website said the Yadkin Road access gate was closed Wednesday afternoon. Crews working on the Interstate 295 construction uncovered four 155-mm artillery rounds.
The Fayetteville Observer reported (http://bit.ly/1MAS3WN) the four rounds were removed for investigation and the gate was reopened by 4 p.m.
A Fort Bragg spokesman said there was no danger to the public, but a convenience store was closed and evacuated as a precaution.
Spokesman Tom McCollum said it’s believed the shells had been there for up to 20 years, but it’s not known how they got there. McCollum said shipping plugs were in the devices, meaning they were not in danger of exploding.