GREENVILLE, N.C. (WNCT) – A Greenville woman credits WNCT with getting mold out of her home.
9 On Your Side brought you Sandra Clark’s story Monday after she said mold grew near her air vent. She said her landlord didn’t come out to repair damage as listed in her lease and told her incorrectly how to get rid of it.
Clark called Tuesday morning and said professional cleaners showed up to start work.
A local woman came to 9 On Your Side looking for help after dealing with mold issues for months in her rental home. Sandra Clark says after one month of living in her Greenville town home, she started to feel sick.
“I didn’t know why and I was like what is wrong with me. Why am I getting sick like this,” Clark said.
Clark says her conditions prompted her to question her landlord about previous water leaks at the property. She said the landlord admitted there had been leaks and told Clark to remove the air filters and spray Clorox.
Clark said, “I immediately went straight and removed the air filter and discovered there was a current water leak, and there was mold all in the open area where the AC return is.”
Specialists say Clorox is not the proper way to treat mold. Home improvement stores have do-it-yourself kits, but getting professional help is the best thing to do to prevent further contamination.
Al Joseph, a bleach specialist said, “bleach feeds mold, it doesn’t kill it, all it does is eminate the color and make you think its gone. But once the chlorine evaporates all your left with is water, and moisture feeds mold, so if your putting bleach on mold your actually helping it grow.”
Clark says inspectors came to evaluate the situation, but she hasn’t received the results. A copy of her lease states it is the landlords responsibility to fix the problem.
Her landlord refused to comment.