Surviving Marine in Chattanooga attack released from hospital

Lisa Camp holds a cross in the rain near the Armed Forces Career Center on Lee Highway, Sunday, July 19, 2015, in Chattanooga, Tenn. Muhammad Youssef Abdulazeez attacked two military facilities, including the career center, last week in a shooting rampage that killed a U.S. Navy sailor and four Marines. (John Rawlston/Chattanooga Times Free Press via AP)

CHATTANOOGA, T.N. – Officials say the Marine who survived the attack in Chattanooga, Tennessee is out of the hospital.

A news conference was held today to follow up and review details of the attack that also killed four marines and a sailor.

A Marine General explained what the service members were doing when they were shot last week at a Navy support facility.

“Rapidly going from room to room, they got their fellow Marines to safety. Once they had gotten to safety, some willingly ran back into the fight. All of us can be extremely proud of what our Marines did that day,” said Major General Paul Brier.

Brier also praised the bravery of the Chattanooga Police.

Officers responded and fatally shot the gunman.

Brier said their actions saved lives.

WNCT-TV 9 On Your Side provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s